tonespace 2 chorder
what is tonespace?
- it's a different, more intuitive music keyboard, combined with a chorder
- It supports over 50 different grids, 14 scales, 18 keys, 30+ chord
types and 25 chord voicings
- it can function as a VST or Audio Unit plugin, processing incoming MIDI events and/or generating outgoing MIDI
- you don't need to use MIDI though: there is also a standalone executable which contains its own little synth for a fast start
what can you do with it?
- audition and play chords while you move the mouse around in a grid-like space,
or while using a traditional keyboard
- learn how musical scales and keys work, and how chords relate to these, using the simple octave-based spaces
- discover how chords map onto surprisingly simple geometric shapes in the more advanced spaces
- use chord-generation algorithms to fit chords to scales and keys
- trigger chords from monophonic midi input and record the played
chords using midi output
what does it cost?
- tonespace 2.0 is free (as in beer)
- if you find it useful and want to sponsor further development, feel free to buy the author a beer in return ;-)
- or help sponsor tonespace development by buying a book, CD or anything else of your choice from Amazon via the link below
demos & tutorials
automatic chord fitting for a I-IV-V progression, manual chord voicing variations
at each pulse, the chord fitting algorithm picks random
chords from candidate triad chords that fit at the scale degree.
Chord voicings are varied to progressively higher
video of automatic chord fitting & chord voicing
shows new features of v2.0.361 : automatic chord fitting
to a scale/key and using the new chord voicings
video by UncleAge: wire up tonespace midi input & output to
other plug-ins in Ableton Live
great tutorial on how to trigger tonespace midi input
from µTonic drum patterns, then send tonespace midi output to Zebra,
ACE & Blue, all within Ableton Live and using the tonespace VST plugin.
video by Adam from @imamusicmogul : using tonespace with Smart Instruments in Logic Pro
excellent tutorial on how how to use the tonespace AU plugin as a chord generator in Logic Pro. This will show you how to set up midi routing between tonespace and Logic using the Apple IAC bus.
video of basic chords in tonespace
shows how to audition chords and voicings manually (using older beta 2.0.294)
video of geometric chord generation
shows how simple geometric forms correspond to common
chords in certain grid-like spaces (using older beta 2.0.294)